Committee on Graduate Studies (CGS)
Dean's Liaison: Associate Dean Holly Storkel, (785) 864-3661, email@example.com
College Office of Graduate Affairs Liaison: Kristine Latta, (785) 864-4201, firstname.lastname@example.org
Admin. Support: Rachel Schwien, (785) 864-1784, email@example.com
The Committee on Graduate Studies shall consist of eleven faculty members serving a three-year term, to be elected at large from the graduate faculty of the College across the five divisions of the College with three members each from Humanities, Natural Sciences & Math, and Social and Behavioral Sciences, as well as one member each from School of the Arts and International and Interdisciplinary Studies. Additionally, the committee will include up to two graduate students elected for a one-year term (fewer students are permitted if good faith efforts are made to reach full representation). The Director of the College Office of Graduate Affairs or a designee attends these meetings in an advisory, non-voting capacity.
|Avdan, Nazli||Political Science||2022|
|Woszidlo, Alesia FA 19 Alternate for Dean, Bartholomew||Communication Studies||2022|
|Gudino, Omar||Applied Behavioral Science & Psychology||2022|
|Acosta, Rafael Alternate for Kokobobo, Ani||Spanish and Portuguese||2020|
Reiff, Mary Jo (Chair)
|Versteeg, Margot||Spanish & Portuguese||2020|
The full committee of CGS meets during the academic year on each date (Thursdays) noted below from 11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in 210 Strong Hall. The CGS does not meet if classes are not in session. The following are scheduled meeting dates for 2018-2019:
- August 29
- September 12 and 26
- October 10 and 24
- November 14
- December 12
- January 23
- February 13 and 27
- March 26
- April 9 and 23
- May 14
Much of the work of the CGS is conducted in two subcommittees.
- Program and Curricular Changes Subcommittee
- Reviews and recommends to full committee on course change proposals
- Reviews and recommends to full committee on program proposals for changes in degree/certificate requirements
- Reviews and provides recommendations to the full committee on proposals for new graduate degrees and concentrations graduate certificate proposals, and graduate certificate renewals
- Policies and Student Petitions Subcommittee
- Reviews the annual Dean's Charges and prepares response/report for endorcement by the full committee
- Reviews and provides recommendations to the full committee for proposed new policy or policy changes governing graduate education in the College
- Reviews and responds to select student petitions seeking relief from College or Graduate Studies policies
CGS and its sub-committees make every effort to review program changes and curricular changes submitted by departments in a timely fashion. The CGS schedule of submission deadlines provides departments with a guide to the timing of the review process.
Department representatives are welcome to attend the full CGS committee meeting at any time, and may find it especially useful to do so when curricular or program changes for their department are under consideration.