Departments may submit curricular changes -including adding a course, deleting a course, or changing a course - through the Curricular Information Management system. All courses are reviewed by the proper CUSA or CGS subcomittee before moving forward to a full committee review. Once approved by CUSA or CGS, courses are submitted the College Academic Council (CAC) for final review. Upon CAC approval, the Registrar updates the course information in the Schedule of Classes. Please note that course numbers may not be reused for 5 years after the course deletion.
Course descriptions must be submitted via the Curricular Information Management system in catalog copy form. If submitting a course change or deletion, select the current course, and edit within CIM to update to a new description if applicable. The current description will load automatically within CIM.
Short training videos are available here
Sample Course Justifications
- This is a MAJOR/NEW area in DEPT x and we now have a faculty member prepared to offer the course. It will fulfill an elective course requirement in our graduate program in TOPIC 1 and our graduate program in TOPIC 2.
- We are combining (SPECIFY COURSE NUMBERS HERE) to streamline our offerings into one course and expedite timely graduation.
- This has been taught as a (SEMINAR/SPECIAL TOPICS) course for (SPECIFY LENGTH OF TIME). Because student interest has remained high and there are faculty available to teach it on a regular basis, we would like to make it a formal course.
- We are changing the title to more accurately reflect the course description.
- We are changing the credit hours to more accurately reflect the course load because (DEPARTMENT FILLS OUT THE REASON).
- We are changing the course description in response to (NEW FACULTY MEMBER CHANGING THE COURSE, CHANGING DEVELOPMENTS IN THE DISCIPLINE, ETC.)
- We are changing the prerequisite because course XXX is no longer offered. Course YYY has replaced XXX.
- We are changing the prerequisite because (THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT IN EMPHASIS IN TOPICS TAUGHT IN THE COURSE, EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN THAT THE CURRENT PREREQUISITES ARE INADEQUATE, ETC.) Students will be better prepared to be successful in this course with the new prerequisites.
- This course has not been taught in the past XXX YEARS/SEMESTERS. There are no plans to teach this course in the foreseeable future. We want students to have an accurate list of courses that will be taught so they can efficiently plan their program of study.
- This course topic is obsolete in this field and we want students to have an accurate list of courses that will be taught so they can efficiently plan their program of study.
- This course is being deleted because course XXX has been replaced by YYY (OR SPLIT INTO AAA, BBB, CCC, etc.)