Promotion & Tenure
revised CLAS policy
May 3, 2019
A revised College policy on promotion and tenure was posted in the Policy Library today. There are four main differences between this version of the policy and the previous one:
- This version has a new “request for information” procedure for the College Committee on Appointments, Promotion and Tenure. This is found in section III.H.2, “Intermediate Review Level.” The purpose of this procedure is to provide more guidance for CCAPT about requesting additional information, and for candidates and departments about replying to such requests.
- The name has changed from “Statement of Promotion and Tenure for the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences” to “Promotion and Tenure Procedures for the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.”
- The URL has changed from http://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure-statement to https://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure. (For convenience, it is planned that the old URL will remain active through the end of July.)
- The format has changed from a PDF file to web text.
Provost’s Office open meeting
April 10, 2019
The Provost’s Office has announced that its university-wide open meeting for the 2019–20 P&T process is scheduled for Monday, May 6, at 3 p.m., in Alderson Auditorium, in the Kansas Union. For details, see http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/promotion-and-tenure-open-meeting.
CLAS instructions for the 2019–20 application cycle – external evaluation letters
February 12, 2019
This is the first of what are planned to be several posts of information at this web page about the 2019–20 promotion & tenure (P&T) process. The information given below about external evaluation letters should be noted by department chairs and the following three groups of faculty members:
- pre-tenure faculty members who are required to be evaluated for P&T in the 2019–20 academic year (They will be notified of this status by March 1, with cc's sent to their department chairs.)
- pre-tenure faculty members who may wish to be evaluated for P&T in the 2019–20 academic year even though that is earlier than their mandatory year (i.e., they wish to "go up early")
- associate professors who may wish to be evaluated for promotion to full professor in the 2019–20 academic year (There is no mandatory year for being evaluated for promotion to full professor.)
For any faculty member in any of these three groups, the department chair should soon begin the process of identifying potential external evaluators. The following documents govern this process:
- Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations (https://policy.ku.edu/governance/FSRR), section 18.104.22.168
- Faculty Development P&T website (http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/promotion-tenure), document called "External Evaluation Guidelines for PT Review"
- note added February 25, 2019: Faculty Development has a new website with new URLs. To access the external-evaluations guidelines document, go to http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/pt-general-information and click on “External Evaluation Guidelines for P&T Review”.
- CLAS “Statement of Promotion and Tenure for the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences” (http://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure-statement), specifically section III, “Preparation of Unit Recommendations”; then see part B, “Process for Obtaining Evaluation Letters from External Reviewers”
Please note that step 2 of the “Process for Obtaining Evaluation Letters from External Reviewers” states that proposed lists of external evaluators must be submitted to the Dean’s Office for approval, must be submitted by April 15, and may be submitted early. The proposed lists should be submitted to Associate Dean for Administrative Affairs Ben Eggleston at email@example.com, and early submission is encouraged.
After proposed lists are approved and when department chairs are soliciting external evaluation letters and agreeing on deadlines with the writers of those letters, they should bear in mind that the deadline for the submission of P&T dossiers to the Dean’s Office, including completed initial-level evaluations, is likely to be around the middle of October 2019. Therefore, late-summer deadlines for external evaluation letters may be advisable.
CLAS instructions for the 2018–19 application cycle
September 28, 2018
The application forms for the promotion & tenure process, as well as the primary, authoritative instructions for that process, are posted on the “Promotion & Tenure” page at KU’s central Faculty Development website: http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/promotion-tenure. The following instructions are specific to the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- The candidate (the faculty member applying for promotion and/or tenure) should provide the required files to the candidate’s department (or primary unit, for faculty with joint appointments) in accordance with the department’s procedure for evaluating promotion & tenure applications.
- The department should complete the steps of the initial-level evaluation, including completion of the several documents associated with that evaluation process.
- The department chair or other department officer should verify that the electronic files of the dossier (both the candidate-produced files and the department-produced files) are organized in the folder structure specified in the instructions posted at the Faculty Development website mentioned above.
- Those files should then be copied to a flash drive that is labeled with the candidate’s name, using a sticker, tag, or other element that will remain securely attached during and after continued use of the drive. (If a department has two or more candidates, the same flash drive may be used for all of that department’s dossiers.) The dossier may also include physical materials such as books.
- The department chair or other department officer should submit the flash drive (and any physical materials such as books) to the CLAS Dean’s Office.
- The deadline for submission is 12 noon on Thursday, October 25. (This is a change from the previously announced deadline of 12 noon on Monday, October 22.)
- To schedule a time for submission, the department chair or other department officer should email Jill Mignacca at firstname.lastname@example.org at least a day or two in advance. Ms. Mignacca will be available to accept submissions on October 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, and 25.
- Previously posted instructions stated that files should be emailed to email@example.com. This email account will not be used in this process, though it will be monitored by Ms. Mignacca since it was previously announced as part of this process.
- After the files of the candidate’s dossier are transferred to the cloud service being used for the promotion & tenure process this year, the department chair or other department officer will be notified to retrieve the flash drive.
- Applications will be evaluated by the College Committee on Appointments, Promotion and Tenure (http://collegedean.ku.edu/resources/governance/ccapt).
The following documents provide relevant background information:
- the CLAS P&T statement posted at http://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure-statement
- Dean Carl Lejuez’s March 1, 2018 letter to all CLAS chairs & directors and faculty members visible at http://collegedean.ku.edu/sites/collegedean.ku.edu/files/images/general/...
Questions may be directed to: