Promotion & Tenure
CLAS instructions for the 2018–19 application cycle
September 28, 2018
The application forms for the promotion & tenure process, as well as the primary, authoritative instructions for that process, are posted on the “Promotion & Tenure” page at KU’s central Faculty Development website: http://facultydevelopment.ku.edu/promotion-tenure. The following instructions are specific to the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- The candidate (the faculty member applying for promotion and/or tenure) should provide the required files to the candidate’s department (or primary unit, for faculty with joint appointments) in accordance with the department’s procedure for evaluating promotion & tenure applications.
- The department should complete the steps of the initial-level evaluation, including completion of the several documents associated with that evaluation process.
- The department chair or other department officer should verify that the electronic files of the dossier (both the candidate-produced files and the department-produced files) are organized in the folder structure specified in the instructions posted at the Faculty Development website mentioned above.
- Those files should then be copied to a flash drive that is labeled with the candidate’s name, using a sticker, tag, or other element that will remain securely attached during and after continued use of the drive. (If a department has two or more candidates, the same flash drive may be used for all of that department’s dossiers.) The dossier may also include physical materials such as books.
- The department chair or other department officer should submit the flash drive (and any physical materials such as books) to the CLAS Dean’s Office.
- The deadline for submission is 12 noon on Thursday, October 25. (This is a change from the previously announced deadline of 12 noon on Monday, October 22.)
- To schedule a time for submission, the department chair or other department officer should email Jill Mignacca at email@example.com at least a day or two in advance. Ms. Mignacca will be available to accept submissions on October 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, and 25.
- Previously posted instructions stated that files should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email account will not be used in this process, though it will be monitored by Ms. Mignacca since it was previously announced as part of this process.
- After the files of the candidate’s dossier are transferred to the cloud service being used for the promotion & tenure process this year, the department chair or other department officer will be notified to retrieve the flash drive.
- Applications will be evaluated by the College Committee on Appointments, Promotion and Tenure (http://collegedean.ku.edu/resources/governance/ccapt).
The following documents provide relevant background information:
- the CLAS P&T statement posted at http://policy.ku.edu/CLAS/promotion-tenure-statement
- Dean Carl Lejuez’s March 1, 2018 letter to all CLAS chairs & directors and faculty members visible at http://collegedean.ku.edu/sites/collegedean.ku.edu/files/images/general/...
Questions may be directed to: